Friday, April 4, 2008

New Chair

When I started my job four and a half years ago I painted my office and re-arranged furniture to liven up the place. The past administrative office woman lived in my office for 15 years. The woman dwelled here without dusting and when she got the urge to paint she would put up a new picture of Tom Cruise with a thumb tack, which would explain the wall in front of me that was riddled with pin holes that looked like a drive by had passed. A drive by of a hundred angry secretaries armed with staplers pissed off that the phone they just answered was another moran trying to send a fax to a live person line(BEEEEEP), if you have ever experienced something like that you know how the sound penetrates the brain and sends you into a phone slamming fit!

Where was I? OH, so anyway after spackling the wall with 2 jars of putty and painting my 100 sq ft place with a window and a door my boss gave me permission to replace the swivel chair of 1945 with anything I wanted, so off to the office supply I went. Mind you I was new and just came from a job that failed and shut its doors so I went thrifty and bought a swivel chair that matched my one maroon wall it was sleek but not very comfortable and last all of four and a half years. The chair broke last week not completely but a wheel fell off causing me to lose balance forward or backward depending on the position the chair was in at the time I leaned. I asked the maintenance guy to take a look at it and after an hour of trying to take out the caster and try to "beat the hell out of it to stay put" his words not mine, he determined it was broke. He said a sure fix would be to remove all the wheels and place.......................wait for it....................duct tape on the legs so as not to scratch the floor. I thought to myself there goes my chance of winning the office chair race down the hall next week. But as luck would have it in walks the boss and after assessing the situation (all six wheels removed, duct tape wrapped two of the wheel-less pegs) demands the chair out of the office and tells the maintenance man to take his assanine idea to the dumpster and hands me the shop credit card to buy me a new chair.

This afternoon I stopped in at the local office supply and got me a brand new chair!! A grey leather chair that is fully cushioned with spring loaded lift, supports my back and has tilt!! I am a thrifty shopper and this model was on sale with an instant savings of $80 and I had a 20% off coupon, but this one is built much stronger than the one I had just hours ago. I know you are all just jealous of my glamorous job right now and want to kick my ass, but sorry I am sitting on it right now in my new chair!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can paint your office? That's what I'm jealous of the most. We have sanitarium white in here.

Anonymous said...

I have cube walls hidden by a variety of postcards and photo's...but in a much nicer display than Tom Cruise with a thumb tac. My chair rocks though. It's not leather, but it's one of those webbed ergonomically ergoexpensive things...I think the person who had the job before me blew someone to get it.

Just a Chick in Michigan said...

Wow, lucky you! Painting walls, buying new chairs...do you get to have a plant? We moved to our new building and nothing is allowed anymore, no fans, no radios (unless they are industrial in design and gray/silver in color). Picture frames must be a certain color and shape. In fact, we got a memo on it that was 2 pages long. Things you can and can't have at your new cubicle. What happened to the good old days when I could throw my Chinese throwing stars at the wall and see if they stuck? BORING!!