Thursday, May 22, 2008

Friendly Meal

The last time I mentioned having a dinner date with a person of the opposite sex it went in all kinds of directions, so I can't believe I am going to tell you this type of thing again. I am a big girl and I can take your criticism and opinions which is why I am throwing this out to all of you(Lord give me strength, for I know not my weaknesses).
I am going to a dinner tonight with my neighbors son, a man who I have known for six years now. My neighbors are of the retired variety and remind me much of my Grandparents(love to hear gossip and think the world is a soap opera). They pretty much hang out around the house tinkering with things and throwing the occasional outdoor party(nothing like my grandparents). They have always been very neighborly, they have let the dog out when I wasn't home on time, plowed the driveway in the winter because I don't have a tractor, returned a stray garbage can that flew down the road on a windy day, took me out to dinner when I was PG and fed up with it all. A genuine nice family who many days I don't know what I would have done without them. Like the day my hot water tank decided NOT heat up I am paranoid of lighting the pilot light so my neighbor came over twice to light the damn thing, only to find out the water tank needed to be replaced completely.
Anyway because I have known this family so long I know they have been trying to hook-up their son for sometime now, occasionally asking me when I was still married if I had any single friends. Somehow I just got the feeling that in recent months after my divorce they have been plotting to set me up. I was right their son called the other night and asked if I wanted to have dinner sometime, and I being the nice person I am accepted the offer. Now don't get me wrong he is a nice guy but just not the type of guy I usually go for and probably would have never accepted the offer if it wasn't my neighbors son. Is that shallow of me??
Another thing I am reluctant to mention is that he is in a wheelchair, from an accident on a construction site which he fell from a second story building, that left him paralyzed from the waist down. In some ways this makes me uncomfortable in ways I don't even know how to describe. I am trying to overlook the fact and he is not crazy in the head, he just can't walk. What is the best way to feel comfortable enough around this situation?
We are going to dinner tonight and I am thinking it will be nice just to have conversation over a meal I did not have to prepare. A meal that is served hot and I can eat it in one sitting without getting up five times to get more beans or juice or try to catch a plate before it goes over the table cause were "all done"!

5 comments:

K said...

I hope you had a really nice time and a good dinner.

Anonymous said...

I think a nice guy that is just not the type of guy you usually go for is perfect. We will be waiting to hear how the evening went. Does he live next door? Pickel Head

Anonymous said...

Good for you. What's wrong with accepting an invitation to dinner and seeing if you have a good time? You never know. You could make a good friend. . . or more. . . enjoy.

The 311 Boys Mom said...

YOU'LL B FINE. BUT i DO THINK IT'LL TAKE A FEW VISITS OR TIME TOGETHER BEFORE YOU'RE REALLY COMFORATBLE.

WAIST DOWN CAN MEAN ALOT OF THINGS....'FROM THE WAIST DOWN'. i TOOK CARE OF A QUARDAPALEGIC.....ITS NOT SO BAD, AT FIRST ITS JUST SCARY CAUSE ITS DIFFERENT.

CALL ME IF YOU HAVE QUESTION/PROBLEMS GETTING COMFORTABLE. HE'S STILL JUST A MAN.

iF HE'S BEEN LIKE THIS A WHILE, H'ES USE TO ALL OF THIS & I DO THINK YOU CAN EXPRESS YOUR FEELINGS OF "i'VE NEVER REALLY BEEN OUT EITH, OR AROUND SOMEONE IN A WHJEELCHAIR, SO IF I SEEM UNCOMFORATBLE, i'M JSUT NEVOUS..."

ACTUALLY, I'D SAVE THAT TILL TEH END, i'D GO WITH THE 'I HAVEN'T BEEN ON A ADTE IN SOOO LONG, I'M SORRY IF I SEEM NERVOUS.' THEN IF ALL GOES WELL, TELL HIM YOU WERE A LITTEL NERVOUSE ABOUT THE CHAIR (HE'LL UNDERSTAND IT)...BTU DONT' TELL HIM UNLESS YOU PLAN ON SEEING HIM AGAIN.....

ONLY CAUSE I DON'T WANT YOU TO HURT HIS OR HIS PARENTS FEELINGS......YOU'LL KNOW IF YOU CAN SAY IT OR NOT & i THINK HE'LL APPRICIATE THE HONESTLY....BUT SEE HOW THE DATE GOES FIRST.

sorry about the caps, just realized it.. . . WORK! :o)

Anonymous said...

So...how was the date?