Monday, May 12, 2008

Lunch, Nails, and a Traveling Cocktail Bar

I spent my mothers day with my in-laws, I know it sounds like a weird situation when your divorced you don't think you would hang out with your in-laws but heck I love them alot (they have really helped me in the last two years)and it helps they are alot of FUN! For Mothers Day last year we had brunch at the club house where my SIL's family lives. Lunch is pretty much a combination buffet of food they serve at weddings and golf outings, it's pretty good and they have a chocolate tower which if you ask me anywhere there is a warm bath of chocolate to put over the top of a rice krispie treat has got to be good! This year like last we share a meal with the family load the kids up with mac & cheese, tater tots and watermelon, after we go back to the house where the men take over the task of everyday life with the children. My FIL took care of Morgan. The Moms get a couple hours to themselves. Last year we went golfing, it was my first time and as beginners luck would have it, I beat the in-laws with my sloppy swing with the use of their golf clubs. We planned to golf again this year to start a tradition of sorts, but the rain dampened our spirits.
So we did the next best thing, we treated ourselves to pedicures and manicures. This would be no ordinary trip to the nail salon though, my MIL had packed the fun. (insert climatic game show music) She brought along the traveling cocktail bar stocked with travel size rum, vodka, southern comfort, jack daniels, kahlua, tonic water, cranberry juice, and coke!! This duffel bag sized cooler was packed with party supplies. My MIL promised to shake us up a key lime martini but was disappointed to find that she did not pack the shaker, and could not convince my SIL to stop at Williams & Sonoma to buy a new one! At the nail salon we dropped MIL at the door and she strapped her duffel bag over her shoulder and hobbled in while we parked the car. As my SIL and I got into our pedicure chairs my MIL whispers to the nail lady "hey can we mix up drinks in here?" and the lady says "I see nothing" so MIL served!! a couple hours later and out of tonic water we ventured to Tom's Oyster Bar for beer and sushi.
Fully loaded and laughing so hard our faces hurt we went home to find all the children fully rested where it seems the men had put them down for a nap for 2 hours while we were gone!! We hung out and played with the kids the reason we are MOMs. I love to see Morgan so happy to play with her cousins. Then reality set in and the buzz wore off when we had to feed the kids a helping of fish sticks and frozen peas. I realized it was late and had to get home, Morgan needed a bath and I had to prepare lunch not to mention the cozy pants and a blanket were calling my name. Responsibility really blows sometimes, but it makes me more greatful for the fun times.
How was your Mothers Day?

2 comments:

K said...

Sounds like you had an awesome Mother's Day! Good for you!

Kellie Bray said...

Sounds like you had a great day