Thursday, May 29, 2008

That was close

My daily commute is long and tiresome and has been for at least 10 years. I have drove many miles at all kinds of speeds, under and over bridges, taking short cuts to avoid back-ups, and have taken scenic routes to break up the mundane. I drive 35 miles one way to work, that is 70 miles.in.one.day! Some of you can relate while others are lucky to be able to drive a shorter distance or be it ever so blessed to walk! I consider myself a well seasoned driver but nothing prepared me for what happened last night.
As I drove home with my precious cargo in the back rockn' out to Laurie Berkner, it happened. With the warmer weather upon us road construction is in full swing, orange barrels line my commute here there and everywhere. It is no surprise to me that on the two lane freeway for the ride home turns to one lane just before my exit. Now that I drive the speed limit most days I have also become courteous and let semi-trucks merge into my lane but not on an all the time basis. So the truck driver pulls in front of me and flashes his lights as a thank you, but moments later one of his 18 tires BLOWS UP! BAM! It was loud and the truck began to swerve, I brace for the impacted of a tire the size of my SUV to bust through my windshield, I had no where to go, there was NO shoulder on the left and orange barrels surrounding a hole to the right where the road once was. So I turned on the hazard lights and began to break and prayed that the guy behind me wasn't going to rear end me in the process. I was pelted with hot rubber and rock from the gravel hauler I be-friended in front of me and hoped that he would noticed and get over ASAP! I was in panic mode and throwing out words and trying to think of what to do next. All was well the truck got over and I took the blunt of the debris (the tire that shred without falling off the truck)while drivers behind me slowed down and wondered what the heck was happening.
I believe the words that left my mouth when this all happened was "SHIT!" what the heck"! "oh-no" "oh-no""oh-NO"! it all happened so fast but when we slowed down my sweet baby in the back who was singing about monkeys and elephants soon repeated "shit,oh-no,SHIT Momma"! so goes her first swear word.

6 comments:

T$ said...

Maybe you should wear a helmet when driving. And when walking on your dirt road.

K said...

she swore?? how sweet

The 311 Boys Mom said...

Parker used the "f" word like it was "the" for like a year.

Brandon's was 'Damn'.

its ok......how;s the car???

Anonymous said...

Alli's first was "son of bitch, Mom? Son of bith? Gotaa love that!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that Dean hasn't swore yet. He's had ample opportunity given that Chris swears every time he doesn't make a light.

He does say "Oh my god!"

Anonymous said...

Maybe Dean is a NYC Jew...