Thursday, October 23, 2008

Hypocrite

I remember a vague discussion with my sister in law sometime ago about how many birthday parties a kid should have in their young lifetime. A discussion I had BC (before child), I believe during that discussion I said when I have kids I will only celebrate the big ones like 1, and 5, then 10, then 16, I don't know what exactly makes these particular numbers big ones but it just numbers I threw off my head. To back my claim I exemplified 1 is well DUH the first ONE of many, then 5 cause hey your a big kid with friends in school now we can invite those friends, then 10 cause you know double digit, then of course the sweet 16 after that your on your own, only not really you can live with Mom for as long as you need to and she will be sucked into the graduation party and so on.
Anyway I have made it through most of this month telling myself oh Morgan's birthday is on the 25th not a big deal. A few people turned into over 25 people and their children cause I just can't invite two friends because that would leave out all the cousins and you know what happens when you don't invite family. Now that it is two days before said party I have no food to serve these people and I am at a loss for how to entertain 2 year olds, but I do it everyday and that just seems too exhausting! 12 little people all wanting to be held at one time, 12 little necks to nibble on, 24 little feet to chase up and down the hallway, 12 push-ups I have to lick to stop from dripping all over the place. Yeha you know you want to be me!! So today I have decided to take people up on their offer to bring something or watch my toddler over night so I can half-ass put together a circus themed birthday for my ever so busy ankle biter.
This party will be just as big as the big ONE. A party at one time I vowed never to throw but seeing that Morgan is my only one I plan to ROCK.THIS.PARTY.OUT. cause heck it is also a celebration of me becoming a Mom I always wanted to be. A single Mom who will pull through with a great party because working under pressure is how I ROLL! Now if I can just find my baby girl she was just here in the corn............

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont recall ever having as big of a party for us as kids as we do for our kids. I think it is safe to say the only reason we do it is because They are spoiled! but most importantly like you said it makes us feel like good moms!xoxoA

Anonymous said...

i love the title of this post.
parenthood makes EVERYONE the biggest hypocrites ever...

Kellie Bray said...

I can't help but having a birthday party for my little one...only because we always had a party and it was filled with family. It was always a fun time and I want my little ones to have that memory too. My hubby, on the other hand never had birthday parties....it is funny how we all do different things!