Friday, April 6, 2007

Things that go bUmP in the night


As a mom my sleeping habits have been anything but normal for the last 6 months. Having a newborn was way more challenging as a single mom than I anticipated, feedings and diaper changes every 2 hours. Every little peep is heard when the good Lord turns on your mommy sensory minutes after you push out the 5lb 8oz miracle. It is understandable why people in Hollywood adopt their children already out of the newborn stage, someone was hired to tell them about the sleep deprivation way before becoming parents. In hind site I am NOT complaining, I miss some of those moments when Morgan would fall asleep and cuddle so nice and tightly warm between my neck and bosom. I could feel her slight breathe against my skin, and smell the sweet scent of her new skin, and hear the tiny grunting noise she would make waking up.
Now that Morgan is getting older and sleeping longer through the night one would think Mom would start sleeping more too. Not so much....even if I try to get to bed at a reasonable time, I am awaken by strange turn of events. One of which is the baby monitor; be it on the lowest volume setting it can it still picks up the smallest of noise, including the breathing of a small infant. Why I have the monitor on when my room is just across the hall?? I guess it is just piece of mind, with the modern invention of the color TV monitor it is nice to see that my daughter has not wedged herself between the bumper pads, while I am letting her cry herself back to sleep at 1am, cause I am trying to cut out the late night feedings, not because I like to watch her kick and scream.
So the other night the dog decides she is going to investigate the babies room at 2am, I am awaken by the sound of heavy panting and sniffing (something the dog has not done before). In the midst of her investigation she also decides to shake and rattle her dog collar tags and in doing so not only wakes me but the baby too. The dog is getting stupider (is that even a word) in her old age. The baby can not let you out just yet wait a couple years and I will teach her. So please come into my room and shake your tail feathers DO NOT wake the baby!!
When I first set-up the monitor I always had this fear of a face popping up on the screen with an evil laugh and running off with the baby(must be the many years my brother made me watch all those scary movies-in the day time, cause if I watched at night something might really get me).
Another thing that has been keeping me up at night is heater vent in my bathroom, no matter how many times I kick it, it has a rattling sound every time the heat kicks on. The constant jingle of a piece of metal no matter how hard I try to block it out will not disappear. Maybe I will have to find a screw driver and fix it once and for all.
Last night as I lay sleeping peacefully my body woke (at 1am) it felt that something just wasn't right in the house. Do you ever get this un-easy feeling in your stomach? As I lay there trying to listen, and as I turned to check the baby monitor (Morgan was still in her crib and asleep). The dog was not barking or maybe she did?? Why do I hear foot steps and not a dog...oh my someone has killed my dog and now they are walking down my hall way and the only way I can escape is through my bedroom window but I have to get my baby first which means I have to cross the hall..........why the hell am I so scared?? It could be that I am living out in the middle of the country by myself with a small child where my closest neighbor is 3 acres away and would not hear me screaming is why. I know I locked all the doors before I went to bed. Well as the intruder reveals himself it is non-other than my soon to be ex-husband(SD for short). What the F*#@??? Yeh he is more frighting than Freddie Kruger in the middle of the night, and why is he here this early in the morning? Sorry to scare you but I did not have to work tonight and I just got done playing softball and thought I would just crash here so I don't have to get up early to come watch Morgan in the morning. Ok whatever I'll come get you out of the basement before I leave for work.
GOOD NIGHT!!! WHEN???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's too bad you didn't swing a baseball bat and then see who it was after you knocked him down! A little revenge is good for a restful night of sleep! Ha ha

Anonymous said...

I'd have to agree with Dr. Bray- swing first, giggle later. Especially when it comes to the SD.