Thursday, November 29, 2007

Crown

In a recent trip to the dentist for a routine cleaning, my dentist gave me a friendly reminder of tooth #15(a 29 year old molar) has a severe fracture and is in need of attention, a crown.(shudder in horror)

Now let's back up a little bit here. I have never been a big fan of the dentist nothing personal just don't like the whole scraping of metal against enamel, the smell of laughing gas, and the humming sound of the drill followed by the sucking of 14 day old food that dislodged from a molar being forced through a suction the size of a straw. Anyone just shiver like I just did?? BLAH.
I had braces when I was young and I can remember every trip to the dentist being a BIG deal, so much that my mom would drug me with Tylenol or benedryl to calm me down. The walk from the car to the building would send my heart racing, just knowing my mouth was at the mercy of the people waiting inside with their pointy instruments wanting to take out their aggression on my teeth. My mom would say just think when your done you get to pick out anything you want from the treasure chest in the waiting room. I would just roll my eyes and want to yell take your treasure chest and all the cheap trinkets made in China laced with lead and shove it up your **S! After a year and a half of torture and agonizing pain of new wires to tighten and straighten the teeth, fillings on all of my molars, the sanding of enamel to shorten my front teeth, it was worth the smile it brought me in the end. I could live without the constant reminder from my Dad you better brush I spent allot of money fixing those teeth, cause it really is about the money not the fact your daughter looked like a beaver. (R.I.P. Bucky beaver) I was grateful and took much pride in brushing and flossing my new smile.

So when it comes to the up keep, the semi-annual cleaning check-up pales in comparison of what I had to go through in years past. But when the dentist so mentions the word like "crown" or filling, or God-forbid root canal it makes my skin crawl. I have been so good in flossing and rinsing with the burn the tarter out of the base of your brain Listerine! A crown? are you serious? I was looking forward to getting the teeth whiting special but he is suggesting I get the crown then the teeth whitened so that the trays fit properly after the cap is put in place. Huh? cap? why is he talking in dental terms English speaking people don't understand, but I do understand it requires needles and the drill and the sucking of whatever falls off from the grinding down of the current tooth that has cracks in four places from a trauma? (see trampoline incident) I have suffered in the past. It may not be as bad as the 3 wisdom teeth I had to have pulled, but in that instance I was put under and served vicadine for a week. This time I will be awake with full awareness of my surroundings, perhaps they serve adult beverages before one goes under something like this.....................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I am so sorry I trauma'd your tooth!! How can I ever make it up to you???bffa?!