Monday, November 26, 2007

Grateful

This year for Thanksgiving I wanted to be rewarded with more than just a full stomach of triptaphane and pumpkin pie. I wanted to fill my heart for others who are less fortunate, so I participated for the first time in delivering food baskets to the needy in our metro area.
Along with fellow parishioners in my church we met at my friends house to assemble 35 baskets in a more than timely matter(it took less than an hour). From there we broke into small groups (car loads) to deliver 3-4 baskets each per car. We were given names and phone numbers of the family receiving the meal and called them when we were on the way to deliver. The car I traveled in was filled with 2 of my close friends and four children. Upon arriving at each home a select few would go to the door ask to enter the home and place the basket on the table and then one of us would lead in prayer, and wish the family well. Only one home we entered looked as if a dinner was being prepared. The parade was on the television, but there was no smell of turkey, pumpkin pie, or arguments over who was going to peel potatoes.
So in that five minutes upon entering each home I hope we brought a warmth of holiday spirit a little something to fill the bellies of the young children and their parents if only for one day. All the families we went to visit appreciated and welcomed us. Our children brought in coloring pages for the needy children and made paper turkeys for each basket. It was so up-lifting to be able to see a child smile and thank us for coming by.
When I drove home after the experience of my first morning delivering baskets I couldn't wait to go home and hold my daughter and thank God for giving me the opportunity to feed her 3 meals a day and be able to drive to the store for simple needs, and have enough to be "grateful" for. I can't wait to share with her one day the overwhelming joy to help others. This year Thanksgiving to me was so much more than preparing a meal, it was giving a meal that made it worth while.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right, as the saying goes it is better to give than receive. I am very glad to be on the giving end. I am sure you will continue to teach your beauty the value of giving and of sharing the blessings God has given you. May all your days be filled with the joy that comes from God above.

K said...

I hear you lady!! I've been complaining the last two years because my dollars have been stretched by job losses, but I've never been lonely or hungry, because God has blessed me incredibly. I've been able to travel and see friends, I've been very blessed.