Thursday, July 31, 2008

New Community

Last night Morgan and I went to visit church on a Wednesday for a little something they call New Community. The event was fun and a lighter crowd than on a Sunday morning. I had no idea what to expect but I heard that New Community featured free dessert so I was all IN! I thought Morgan would enjoy the featured service with reference to KungFu Panda so I brought her along instead of leaving her in the nursery where she loves to play, but this is my time with her and I wanted to cuddle and sing along to songs, blah, blah, blah. I knew going in that a late service at 7:30 pm would be pushing bedtime til about 9pm. Somewhere at around 8:20pm Morgan would start getting squirrly and wanted nothing to do with singing and dancing this time at church. We stuck it out until the end of service and had the ice cream dessert that church had promised and went home.
Something happened at the beginning of the service that reminded me that kind spirits are all around us. As we entered the auditorium to find a seat I noticed an older woman a few rows in front of us, her name is Barb. I met Barb just that Sunday before while sitting by myself in church. When we sat down she was chatting with the younger lady next to her and they both turned around and were scanning the crowd for someone. I tried to make eye contact with her to say Hello but she was looking over me. After a few minutes I got up and walked down to greet her and she was so pleased to see me like she was waiting for me to get there. Barb smiled and said "there you are I was looking for you" in that moment I thought how sweet she remembered I mentioned coming tonight and she was looking for me. She politely asked if she could sit with us and of course I obliged.
Through out the service she helped me entertain Morgan with a pen and paper, a package of Reese pieces, and her pocket lipstick mirror, all from her bag of goodies. How kind of this woman of whom I have only met but a few hours suddenly was my friend. It was nice to have Barb sitting next to me admiring my daughter and my company. Although she could have picked anyone in the crowd to sit next to she made me feel special for just that one moment.
Which brings me to the message of the service a message I am sure Barb had no idea the impact she had brought to my life last night. The service was a reminder of our weaknesses that could prove to be our greatest assets, just like KungFu Panda. We all hold special qualities and some are as simple as acknowledging people for who they are without judgement. For everyone has something to give to someone. And like Barb I want to meet people by a simple hello and spend if only an hour with that person to make them feel important for a moment, to hear their story. Can't wait to meet you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lovely, lovely story.
some folks are just that way, & it's nice to see.
it is NOT a common site in my workplace...

Anonymous said...

It is good for you to realize you are worth Looking for!! YOU are a treasure that others want a small piece of, I know I consider our times together a blessing. I am so glad you have found a church that feeds your soul. tmp